Peace & Justice

This is the blog of the Commission on Peace and Justice for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany, New York.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Building Peace with Justice

Building Peace with Justice is a brief, weekly bulletin reflection on Catholic social teaching written by members of a Public Policy Sub-committee in the Diocese of Rochester.

For bulletins on February 1, 2009

Adults may think the fear of nuclear war is past. However, researchers have found that 45% to 50% of youth in America aged 10 to 19 are afraid of the negative impact of nuclear war on their lives. For those who fear they have no future, nuclear war is their second greatest fear.

Our readings today present Jesus as the Prophet of whom Moses foretold. Jesus spoke with authority and revealed a God of love in whose image we are created. As we embrace this self-image, let the statistics sink in and reflect on how we can share in Jesus’ prophetic ministry. How can I gently discover what fears my children have and relieve them with words of peace and hope? How can I show my respect for the dignity of others and myself? What do I hope to convey by my words and actions today?